THE PERFECT NASI GORENG DOESN'T EXIST... OH WAIT WE'RE WRONG. KEMBANG BAWANG PERFECTS SIMPLE DISH, WE WENT HOME SMILING.
oleh IG: biteorbye (Nisa & Nadya) , 25 Februari 2020 (3 bulan yang lalu)
Why you will love it ❤
1. Kembang Bawang is the place for you to seek Indonesian comfort food with complex and satisfying taste, every bite will transcend you to Indonesian culinary heaven.
2. For anyone who is a fan of petai and kecombrang, the restaurant does the two fragrant ingredients justice. Nasi Goreng Cakalang Asap with Kecombrang and Pete made its way to Nadya's heart - every bite is the right combo of perfect rice, fresh ingredients and the right seasoning. As we downed the food, it's like they're doing the perfect choreographed dance inside our mouth - just an indulging experience.
3. Nisa's favourite dish is the Oseng Cumi Asin. Squid is essentially difficult to cook; they will be very chewy and hard to eat if overcooked. But Kembang Bawang, with years of experience cook the right Indonesian dish, knows its way to make stir fry. This is better eaten with white rice, because if paired with fried rice it would be too salty. The heavy kecombrang use reminds me of a Bali dish. LOVE.
4. Oseng Ayam Asap Sambal Matah goes through a long process of 1 hour marination, seared to keep the goody-goody chicken juice and smoked for three hours - talk about labor of love! Texture of the chicken is juicy.
5. The restaurant brands itself to be a humble one, offering humble Indonesian food. We discovered that behind the humility there is also mindfulness of the restaurant - they prioritize restaurant standardization really carefully - they ensure pests, the kitchen to be clean and for the staff to be strictly aware of the right standard of restaurant hygiene. We would like to thank mindful restaurants like this to ensure customers' comfort first about what goes in their mouth and their clean surrounding.
6. Kembang Bawang's quality control and standard of the restaurant turns out comes from the owner himself, Chef Mario, who had years of experience working in fine-dining restaurants and worked abroad. He hopes to bring the standard and quality even to street food that Indonesians consume. He exhaustively researched the right rice to use for the Nasi Goreng, ensures the right sources of ingredients, everything is basically made in the kitchen - from the smoked chicken, even the cincau is made in the kitchen! So, you're in for a treat if you're in Kembang Bawang: indulge amazing, complex taste in simple dishes, with fine-dining kitchen standards and fresh ingredients.
What could be improved 🙏
1. Would be great if they could separate the sugar of Es Selasih Cincau and let the customer pour their preferred level of sweetness on their own. It was too sweet for us when the drink came, but after relishing all the savoury food, it made much more sense drinking it afterwards to balance the savoury. We recommend you request for sugar to be separated.
2. The sambal matah is a bit on the oily side for me. Eventhough that beautiful flavour is in the oil! But if you do not prefer an oily dish, simply request to the kitchen and ask if would be possible.
Place: Kembang Bawang, Alam Sutera
Nasi Goreng Cakalang Asap Kecombrang Pete (47k): 9.5/10
Nasi Goreng Sambal Hijau (40k): 8.8/10
Oseng Ayam Asap Sambal Matah (40k): 8.9/10
Oseng Cumi Asin Kecombrang Pete (50k): 9.5/10
Es Selasih Cincau (13k): 7.5/10