Writer's Bar at Raffles Hotel Jakarta had been on my list to go lounge for a long time. Yesterday I got the chance to visit it whilst celebrating my early bday. The interior was a classy modern style with a hint of art that could be spotted all over the place. For my preference, I pretty like the lounge (Writer's Bar). The high ceiling, the color, the ambience, the music played, the sofa, the piano, and everything. The hospitality was also very good as I expected from a 5 star hotel, the waiter and waitress always have a smile on their face which I like it.
Ordered a Coffee Chocolate Tower which consisted of 2 plain scones, 2 chocolates scones, 2 alfajores, 2 palmiers, 2 banana tarts, 2 lapis legit, 2 tiramisus, 2 choux coffee gayo, 2 coffee creme brulee, and also came with a set of chocolate fondue (2 bananas, 2 marshmallows, and 2 strawberries). Let's review it one by one
- Scones (Plain and Chocolate) [5/5 for scones, 2/5 for condiments] : The scones were the best one here, we could taste the butter fragrance inside the scones while the consistency of the scones were just right. It came with 3 condiments : Berry Jam, Clotted Cream, and Lemon Curd. Unfortunately the Clotted Cream was too cloggy which supposed to be smoother, Lemon Curd tasted too eggy for us, and the Berry jam was so-so.
- Alfajores [4/5] : I didn't try this one, but my friends said this one were good enough
- Palmiers [0/5] : This one was the most terrible one, instead of having sweet flavor, it came out BURNT. So it tasted very very very bitter, even I couldn't even swallow it. I could see that the bottom of the palmier was covered by black burnt color. So I made a complain to the waitress, and she said she would ask the chef for this issue. Luckily they felt responsible for this and changed the palmiers to Lemon Meringue. The chef tried to defend that the bitter flavour came from the coffee used in the palmier, but all of us agreed that it's not coffee bitter, even coffee bean could taste better than that. It was a burnt bitter, it was inedible.
- Complimentary Lemon Meringue [4/5] : It looked beautiful, with a perfect color of the meringue. Taste wise the lemon was still has that kind of eggy flavour. But I could tolerate it, and it tasted good.
- Banana Tarts [4/5] : Instead of a tart, it looked more like a slice of cake. The cake itself was soft, the chocolate was good, not too sweet and overwhelming. But I couldn't taste the banana flavour actually.
- Tiramisu [5/5] : I like this one, the tiramisu came inside a shot glass which was unique to me. The cream wasn't too sweet which I like it and then it also came with a coffee jelly on the bottom of the glass. When I combined it all together, it created perfection.
- Lapis Legit [5/5] : It was good because it tasted like a traditional lapis legit. Just stick with the classics.
- Coffee Creme Brulee [5/5] : I like this one, you got to crack the upper layer made of sugar with your spoon and then the creme inside was not too sweet and it was creamy with a hint of coffee flavor.
- Choux Coffee Gayo [5/5] : i love choux, especially when I cut it the cream inside flowed out. Once again I like it because the cream wasn't too sweet and that coffee gayo flavor inside the cream was just right.
- Chocolate Fondue [3/5] : It came out with 2 bananas, 2 strawberries, and 2 marshmallows. The chocolate dip itself was made with Varlhona Chocolate which according to my friend, it has the signature sour, sweet and bitter flavor inside the chocolate, which I found it true. It tasted not bad, but nothing special.
The package also came with 2 pot of TWG Tea, so we ordered a pot of Lemon Bush Tea and Raffles Jakarta Tea (which is a tea exclusively blended for Raffles Hotel only). All of the teas tasted good for me, as I expected from TWG which is my favorite tea brand.
Overall it wasn't a bad experience, we enjoyed all the food served in the package. Maybe I will come here again if I have a chance later.